Last updated on December 22nd, 2017 at 08:49 am
Last week, I gave you some tips on how to use Facebook Ads but there’s so much more to this amazing tool. I’m back with some vital tips for you on how to rock your Facebook Ads and I’m going to share them right here in this post. In order to beat the competition and outperform your rivals, you most likely will have to invest in Facebook Ads. The problem is that it looks easier than it actually is. Facebook is an extremely complicated platform and you’ll have to know your strategies, tips, and tricks very well. Today, I will give you the definitions of some jargon followed by some of my favorite Facebook audience targeting tips. I have tested lots of different strategies and will share my knowledge with you today.
Facebook’s main strength is its audience targeting capabilities. The better you target your audience, the less costly your ad expense will be, not to mention the better results you’ll achieve. Personally, I always try to segment my audiences into as many separate ad sets as possible in order to write copy that aligns with the chosen audience.
There are many types of custom audiences, and Facebook is constantly adding new ones.
- Customer List – Also known as the standard custom audience. These can be contacts that you have stored on your phone or Facebook User IDs. Facebook is usually able to match 60-80% of these contacts on your list. These lists have to be uploaded manually.
- Website Custom Audiences – Instead of using users’ email addresses or phone numbers, you can insert a Facebook Pixel tracking code on your website in order to target people who have visited your website before. This is also known as remarketing.
- App Activity Custom Audiences – You can create audiences based on the events users complete on your app. This can be either on desktop or mobile.
- Engagement Custom Audiences – Facebook allows you to create audiences based on the people who previously engaged with certain ad types on your page.
- Lookalike audiences – Facebook searches for the characteristics your current users, leads, or customers have. These characteristics can be age, gender, or other things such as interests. Based on this information, Facebook will create a bigger list of people with the same characteristics of your current audience.
Today I will be focusing on Lookalike Audiences. It is one of the easiest and most powerful Facebook Ads audiences in my opinion
Facebook Audience Targeting Tips – Lookalike Audiences
Those that are not familiar with Facebook ads may not know about one of Facebook’s most powerful method to target audiences: this method is called “Lookalike”.
A lookalike audience allows you to reach people who are most likely to be interested in your business because they are similar to your existing customers. When creating a lookalike audience, you choose a source audience, such as those from your website data or current fans of your page, and Facebook identifies specific qualities from those people such as age, common interests, and gender. Facebook then searches on its own network for people similar to the source you provided the network with. Facebook generally recommends a source audience of between 1000 and 50,000 people in order to get the best results. However, instead of giving up your entire audience as a source audience, I advise you to solely give up those who you’ve already converted as customers. This may lead to better results.
A source audience must have at least 100 people from one country in order to use it as a basis for a lookalike audience. However, you don’t necessarily have to have people in your audience from the country you want to target. For example, you can use the audience you have, containing 10,000 people from Germany, to create a lookalike audience of similar people in France.
You can create a lookalike audience by going into your Business Manager Account, selecting the Ad Account you want to create a Facebook Ad for.
After you’ve selected the campaign you want to create an ad for, you will be inside the tab “Ad Sets” of Facebook’s Ad Editor, and you will have to click “ + Create Ad Set”. Once clicked, you will see the following page:
By clicking on “Create New” and selecting “Lookalike Audience” you will see the following pop up:
Here, you just have to fill in the data that applies to your strategy and your ad is ready to be shown to the right people. It is as simple as that!
Please let me know in the comments below how you target your Facebook Ads!